Late Night Tales Presents After Dark
After Dark. It’s New York at 4 am with the lights off and the strobes flaring. It’s a Dalston basement with slow chugging basslines propelling a dancefloor. This is Late Night Tales compiled by Bill Brewster.
Late Night Tales introduces a tangent to the timeline of the esteemed artist curated compilation series with ‘After Dark’: a DJ led, club focused mix which – as expert compiler Bill Brewster describes – “is dance music for people who know how to make love”.
After Dark. It’s New York at 4am with the lights off and the strobes flaring. It’s a Dalston basement with slow chugging basslines propelling a dancefloor. It’s a starlit night on the coast of Croatia with glittery girls and burnished boys grooving to 110bpm anthems. It’s great dance music with the Bosh-O-Meter turned to 0. If you want pounding trance, Lance, you’ve come to the wrong place. If you want a drop, break or explosion every 16 bars, then Swedish House Mafia is that way. This is music for dancers who know to move. It’s slow release carbs, with a startlingly high pleasure count. We’re starting slow and staying that way. Groove is in the art.
Unearthed gems include a brilliant Padded Cell mix of the Doves that’s thus far remained in the CD wallets of the lucky few, a previously unreleased remix of the magnificent Twin Sister, a couple of unreleased tunes by Tad Wily and Beans & Company, plus the rare-as-hen’s-teeth mega disco tune ‘Love The Way You Love Me’ by Yorkshire’s finest diva-comic Marti Caine.
Also along for the ride are a quartet of French beauties, namely TBS ft. Jamalski, a brilliantly off the wall Joakim production; there’s –M – (known to his maman as Mathieu Chedid, son of French chanteur Louis), whose ‘Machistador’ comes replete with a fantastic Philip Zdar remix, while one of Bill’s heroes I:Cube delivers a terrific reworking of Karma’s ‘Beach Towel’. The Gaulish tour concludes with a contribution from François K, whose dubby remix of Herbest Moon is full of the recommended amounts of after dark atmosphere. The session closes with Asha Puthli’s dramatic and floaty ‘Space Talk’, a brilliant song recorded by an Indian singer using some of the best session players from the UK, US and – why not? –Germany.
Bill Brewster comes armed with a sensitivity and sense of occasion that few other DJs possesspossess – and as go-to scribe of liner notes for every Late Night Tales release since day one, his association with the series is symbiotic. Originally a chef, a football pundit (co-editor of fanzine When Saturday Comes) and record collector, Bill began DJing in in the late 80s, but he cut his teeth playing Low Life warehouse parties in Harlem and the East Village and anyone hearing Bill today can see how these New York ‘roots’ shine through. For eclecticism, surprises, amazing unique music and sheer long-haul dedication to the dancefloor; Bill’s your man. His other life is as a writer. Together with long-term pal Frank Broughton, Bill is author of the definitive history of DJing, ‘Last Night A DJ Saved My Life’, the uniquely sardonic DJ manual ‘How To DJ (Properly)’ and has contributed his acid Grimsby wit and encyclopaedic knowledge of music to just about every dance rag there is, not to mention The Guardian, Independent and Mail On Sunday.
Late Night Tales Presents After Dark
Release date 5th May 2013
Label Late Night Tales
01. Marti Caine – Love The Way You Love Me [Previously Unreleased on CD/Digital]
02. Linus Loves – The Love
03. Quiller – Quiller (Fat Camp Edit) [Previously Unreleased]
04. Twin Sister – All Around And Away We Go (Hotel Motel Mix) [Previously Unreleased]
05. TBS Ft. Jamalski – Extraterrestrial Manoeuvres In The Dark
06. Jamiroquai – Alright (DJ Version Excursion)
07. Doves – Compulsion (Padded Cell Mix) [Previously Unreleased]
08. Coober Pedy University Band – Moon Plain [New Track]
09. Jamie Lloyd – Movin’ In (Brennan Green Mix)
10. Fernando Pulchino – Best Is Yet To Come
11. Al Sharp – Keep On Pokin’
12. –M– - Machistador (Philip Zdar Macho Mix) [Previously Unreleased Edit]
13. Karma – Beach Towel (I:Cube Cosmix Marathon Remix)
14. Zed Bias Ft. MDCL & Toddla T – Koolade
15. Beans & Company – The Go Go [Previously Unreleased]
16. Tad Wily – After Dark [Exclusive Track]
17. Herbest Moon – Blow Your Body (François K Deep Space Dub)
18. Asha Puthli – Space Talk